Krasman Painting.HalfRes.Straightened..j

History of Elk Landing

One of Maryland’s and the Mid-Atlantic’s mot historic tracts of land, Elk Landing is the location of Cecil County’s most important heritage.  Situated at the confluence of the Little Elk and Big Elk Creeks, this site is on the area’s earliest transportation corridor and played a role in may significant historical events.

  • The Swedes and Finns established an early trading post at this location which they called Transtown.

  • Zebulon Hollingsworth, in the early part of the 18th century, acquired two parcels of land creating the site known as Elk Landing.

  • British troops numbering 18,000 pass through the area in August, 1777 on their way north to capture the American capitol in Philadelphia.

  • The British returned in April, 1813 but Elkton was saved from burning by defense from Forts Hollingsworth and Defiance in the War of 1812.

  • In the early 19th Century it was a port harboring boats loaded with Cecil flour, iron, nails, wood, pork and lumber departing for Baltimore and returning with coal, molasses, coffee and whiskey.

  • In 1877, Henry Deibert started constructing canal boats at Elk Landing which were launched sideways into the Little Elk Creek.

 

Ref:  Elk Landing Brochure